11 March 2008

FHE-

I have decided that I need to record more of the daily going ons of our family. One of those going ons is FHE. Each week we try to come up with a "quickie" for our lessons- something that will hold our childrens' attention, and have a yummy enough dessert to keep me motivated. Last night was no exception.

Sunday night, during family scriptures, the word 'covenant' came up. Lilli asked what that meant and we explained that a covenant is a promise between us and the Lord - and if we keep our part of the promise, He will keep His part - to bless us.

Last night for Family Home Evening, I decided we needed to expand on that a little, and I came up with a brilliant object lesson (I say it was brilliant, but I don't think it came all from my own little mind). So we all pile in the car and I give the lesson as we are driving to our secret field trip locale. I ask Lilli if she remembers what a covenant is and she gives a pretty amazing recap of how we had explained it to her. We were so impressed. "Its when you make a promise and keep the commandment and then Jesus makes a promise to you and gives you blessings." Awesome.. so far so good.

Then we talk about what kind of commandments Heavenly Father has asked us to obey. George gives the example of tithing. I talk about the word of wisdom, and Dexter is quick to inform us that "all the first grade teachers drink coffee." Apparently the upper level grade teachers go for something different. Onward....

I then ask what, if any, commandments the kids have kept that they have been blessed for.
"Mercer, what things have you done that are good that you were blessed for?"
"I'n RdooDee2."
"Okay. R2D2, what good things have you done?"
"Ummmm, I eat breakfast."


"Yeah.... that's good."

Now the object lesson. I hold out one of my hands and form my fingers into a 'C'. "If we do our part, and keep the commandments, then Heavenly Father will do His part and bless us." I take my other hand in the form of a 'C' and join them together. "Now what shape is this?"

"It kinda looks like a heart."
"A diamond."
"A square."
At this point, George, who is driving, forms a perfect circle with his hands for which he gets and eye-roll, and the kids all yell, "A circle!!!"

Now we pull into our parking spot and I say yes, and "Where are we? What shape are the things they have in there?"

They look at the building confused... "A square?"

Then Dexter looks closer at the rotating machinery, the conveyor belt that takes these fried delights under a waterfall of goodness and then delivers them into such attractive dozen-size boxes and he yells "DONUTS!"


So that's why I ended up eating like 4 Krispy Kreme doughnuts last night. Successful FHE, all the way around.

8 comments:

heather March 11, 2008 at 10:32 PM  

brilliant! and what a fantastic activity to tie it all together.

Natalie Jane March 12, 2008 at 12:08 PM  

Nice.

What is it with r2d2? Lydia spelled that with her letters the other day, and I know that she has not seen the movie. Just chance? I wonder......

Nicki March 12, 2008 at 1:45 PM  

What a great story! You guys are awesome parents and apparently you really got the point across! Bravo!

Anonymous March 12, 2008 at 9:56 PM  

Awesome F.H.E,
Will you come teach my kids? You can't beat that dessert either.
love ya, Brooke

Jessica March 14, 2008 at 3:30 PM  

cute cute cute.

I want to see your circle and George's circle, so I can judge which was better.

Tierney March 15, 2008 at 1:20 AM  

Anything that ends with Krispy Kreme donuts is brilliant! Our lesson was on telling the truth. Hmm, I wonder why?

Kiley March 19, 2008 at 5:06 PM  

Great idea! Such a fun story too.

carrie March 26, 2008 at 11:07 PM  

That was hilarious! I was laughing out loud. I loved the kids' responses. Great idea for FHE!


Links

Family Blogs

Current Crave

NETFLIX
Naki's Girls

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP