07 May 2008

Update

So as to keep everyone informed, updated and in the know I have decided to relate a little bit of our progress both personally and business-wise.

We moved from Irvine CA to Spokane a little over a year ago, after George's company -that was a bit top heavy, went bottoms up, to do a Paul Mitchell School. We were very fortunate in the way he was brought in to be an owner/director conveniently in Spokane. My entire immediate family lives here in Spokane, along with several other relatives -aunts, uncles, cousins, grandma.. so it was very lucky that Spokane happened to be the location we got.



We moved in with my parents last March thinking and telling everyone that we'd only be here in the basement for a few months. We thought the school would just take about 6 months (HA!) to get open and we'd buy a home in the mean time and get things going. That was not to be. Every time we started to look for a home or talk about moving out, we both felt like we should stay here with my parents. And it has been such a blessing - in so many ways.
The school has taken so much longer than we ever imagined it could - it has been over a year and we are still a good 6 months away from opening. Leases, permits, plans, architect time, builder bids, etc... it all adds up to almost 2 years. Meanwhile, we have been trying to figure out what to do about a home. We'd love to settle down. We have moved about 11 times in the past 9 years or so and I would really like some stability. But of course George and I both ask ourselves "Is that really possible?" I think we are both restless people... but for the sake of our children, I would love to settle down into a community so they can have friends, and play-dates and birthday parties and block parties.

Anyway, a couple years ago, my parents purchased some lots on a hill in a community called Liberty Lake, just east of Spokane. The idea was that they would build a home and my sister and her family would build right next to them. Well, my sister kept up her end of the deal, but my parents were not up for the change and the work that goes into building. Fast forward to last year when we moved here, and my parents offer the lot to us and offer to help us build a home there (as it is somewhat beyond our postponed salary.) So the house building process matches the school process - plans, test digs, architect time, builder bids, shock, revisions, new bids.. etc. And here we are still without a whole lot to show.

However bleak this may sound, it really is not. We have had a great time living with my parents, and my wonderful brother Tyler. They have been extremely patient and helpful (especially with George traveling). Having another cook, story-reader, and bath giver in the house (my mom) has been wonderful. My dad loves to get Rori talking and sneak extra treats to her. Lilli loves watching Food Network with him as well. Although when I found her watching NCIS with him the other day.... :) When Tyler walks in the door after work the kids all yell "BUDDY." Rori yells "BUBBY!" And he loves putting her to bed.




This was a fun surprise for Mercer from my dad, just because.

So the school is still progressing. So is our home. And both will happen when it is time. Meanwhile, I am grateful for the opportunities that we have and for the family that we have around us. We have been blessed and I know it will all work out.

Amen.

6 comments:

Live everyday to its fullest May 7, 2008 at 12:41 PM  

Oh family is the best! What would we do without them???? They always seem to save our lives...and yes we need to get the girls together again!!

Daines May 7, 2008 at 4:13 PM  

We are so glad that you guys are here. It's been so great for me to get to know your family better, but also it's just been amazingly fun. It's great to hear the update, I can never get enough of the Brunt's!

LosPeterson May 7, 2008 at 4:51 PM  

That was the best talk ever Randi. For real. We sure miss you guys. Chris and I, and Gunnar now, fly out to E. WA every summer to visit my family - and one of these times, we have got to meet up so that Gunnar can see what a real brood looks like (no one has more than 2 kids here). Your family is beautiful, by the way, and not sasquatchian at all :)


Your pal, Renae

Natalie Jane May 7, 2008 at 10:02 PM  

Man, had I read this before going out tonight, we could have skipped half the catch-up talk :)

I had a great time. Hopefully we will do it again before another decade goes by :) Class of 96 forever!!!!

Kiley May 7, 2008 at 11:27 PM  

We are SO happy you're here in Spokane.

Nicki May 12, 2008 at 10:56 AM  

I enjoyed your update, Randi! It was fun to be let into the going ons with the Brundts!


Links

Family Blogs

Current Crave

NETFLIX
Naki's Girls

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP