20 November 2007

Daily Dose of Dexter






(I stole this idea from Candy - Sorry, but I loved the format. Thanks for the idea!)
Dear Dexter,
I am so grateful, blessed to have you, Dexter, as my son. I have been handed a little part of heaven, to take care of, to learn from, to love. I am so thankful.

5:30 am - I am awake (usually with Mercer) getting ready for my run. I sneak into your room to make sure you are covered and warm. I love to see you sleeping – so peaceful, so calm. I am always struck by the innocence and purity that accompanies sleeping children. You are so pure. I cover you up and head out the door.

7:00 am – I am back from my run and you are still sleeping. You sleep against your will! If you could, I know you would wake up at the break of day, to embrace the warmth of life that morning brings. But, you stayed up too late, and your body is growing… so you sleep on.

8:00 am – I check on you again, and you are usually still sleeping. I wake you up. You are never grouchy!! You always wake with a smile. I love that smile. It soothes my own ill temper and reminds me of the important things – happiness, thoughtfulness, fun, love. You slowly get out of bed, not out of crankiness, but just letting things take their own sweet time. Getting you dressed is a process. I have to start early so that you can make it on time. You are not picky, you throw on whatever, and I love that about you – so easy to please.

8:30 am – Breakfast. Chocolate muffin, Cinnamon Toast Crunch or S’Mores, orange juice. You are a creature of habit. Routine. While you eat, I listen to you talk about your dreams the night before and the interesting things that stick in your mind: interesting memories, pieces of games you’ve played, funny incidents. Your memory is incredible, your thoughts – intriguing.

9:00 am – You are off to school. It is such a long day, and the house is so quiet without you. I love Tuesdays when I help in your class. I love to watch you learn, explore and try. Your curiousity, eagerness to please and meticulousness is amazing and gratifying to behold.

3:10 pm - I am in the car line picking you up. I watch you come around the school building and look for me. I love the excitement and the reassurance that crosses your face as you spot me. You always have a huge smile and a wave for me. It makes me so happy. As you get in the car I say, “Hi Bud. How was your day?” “Good.” “What was the best part of your day?” “Mostly the whole thing.” You come home so happy and proud of your good work for the day.

4:00 pm – Homework time. Sometimes you love it and attack it with enthusiasm. Other days it is a chore, but you are so bright and love to accomplish.

6:00 pm - Pre dinner time and post dinner time are a blur for me, but you are ready to help; and dinner is rarely your favorite (chicken & dumplings or nachos or taco soup), but you get through it.

7:00 pm – I love to read with you. You have gotten to be such a great reader. You try big words like they don’t have a right to be difficult. I love to hear you finish a book without me even having to tell you that its time to read. We rarely have to even bribe you anymore with videogame time or quarters. I love that you are proud of yourself. Remember praying that you would learn to love reading? Heavenly Father answered your prayers. And mine.

8:00 pm - It is bedtime. Some nights it is the fight of the day, other nights you run! But it is so hard for you to fall asleep. You just can’t relax. You don’t want to let go of the day. Still so much to talk about, so much to think about. I love our 5 minutes together, even if sometimes I seem a little sleepy. My favorite is when I asked you all those questions about your favorites and your thoughts. You have such an innocence that is just so wonderful and delicate. I hate to even come close to giving you too much reality sometimes. I kiss you good night, and you kiss me back. You always have to have the same number of kisses as me. I love that. Your hug lasts forever.

I love you Dexter. I was a mother the day you were born. I was so new and I still am. I learn everyday and I learn so much from you and have so much yet to teach you. I remember counting the lines under your eyes when you were so tiny, and still, 6 years later, each time I look at your eyes, it is a reminder to me of your innocence, your spirit, and my baby boy.

6 comments:

Jessica November 21, 2007 at 7:53 AM  

There is something about that kid...whenever we're in the same place, I just like to look at him. He's like a children's picture book illustration! Nice post (I may have to copy your copy sometime!)

Vallente November 21, 2007 at 10:09 PM  

That's so beautiful. Kind of puts things in perspective.
Karen

Tierney November 21, 2007 at 11:07 PM  

I loved reading your post. I'm amazed by Jackson all the time. It's kind of sad how fast they're growing up, isn't it? P.S. I tagged you. Check out my blog for the format.

Spencer November 23, 2007 at 7:48 AM  

Randi,
I want his breakfast. :) That's a fun post. Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Nicki November 26, 2007 at 9:40 PM  

I really, really love this Randi! You are so talented with your words and creating a beautiful picture of your perspective! I wish I could do that, too!

Anonymous December 3, 2007 at 3:48 PM  

talk about making me get all teary eyed! i miss dexter so much!! you are coming this week, though, and i'm so excited to see all of you! (i won't be there until late thursday night cause i'm back in vegas with gary...)


Links

Family Blogs

Current Crave

NETFLIX
Naki's Girls

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP