10 March 2009

flat cookie day



today was a flat cookie day.
despite some great intentions. despite some valiant efforts and positive beginnings - all my cookies came out flat.


for years, all of my cookies have been flat. i don't know what secret secret is out there that is being withheld from me. i get so-and-so's newest cookie recipe (sarah i tried yours today), i try not to let the butter get too soft, i've tried hand mixing, i've tried refrigerating the dough, lots of stuff i have tried! but to no avail. my cookies are always always flat.

i had a great morning prayer with the kids at breakfast. so much so - they thanked me for it. and yet, by noon, i was grateful that meghann asked if mercer could come play. i was out of juice. or my butter was too soft or something.

i was completely depleted of all baking soda by the time dexter got home. but i still wanted to do good things. so i set the oven, i softened the butter, and made cookies with the kids. all of them. i don't know how you do it, mom. it was straight down hill from there.

we didn't eat dinner until 8:00 pm. canned chili and cornbread. (they actually LOVED it, so that's something.)

not a good day.

another flat cookie day.

george, come home so we can run away to mexico together.

and i will try putting the dough in the fridge again for tomorrow.

6 comments:

Natalie Jane March 11, 2009 at 5:26 AM  

The key is to use half butter and half shortning. Butter will always be flat because it melts. My cookies are never flat because of this little trick my dady taught me. Let me know if it works for you....

Natalie Jane March 11, 2009 at 5:26 AM  

That is suppose to say Dad. Not dady and really NOT Daddy. I'm not that girl...

Anonymous March 11, 2009 at 8:24 AM  

Send all your flat cookies my way. Flat cookies make it easier to find what I am really after, the chocolate chips.

Randi March 11, 2009 at 8:54 AM  

does the shortening leave your cookies more brittle sooner??? i hate brittle cookies. brittle and flat = boo.

Natalie Jane March 11, 2009 at 10:29 AM  

You have to undercook the cookies to keep them soft and moist. Like the second they are looking firm at all, take them out. They will have to sit for 5 minutes before eating them, otherwise they will be a gooey mess. They will keep cooking during that 5 minutes of sitting. They will be perfectly done, and stay soft. (Usually I cook mine like 3 minutes less than the recipe says. You may want to experiement. Also, you should never use cold butter in cookies. Only in pastry like pie crust. Cold butter makes things flakey. You want room temp butter and eggs. Leave them on the counter overnight. Otherwise, they won't cream together propery.

I am thinking of entering my cookie recipe into a contest, that is why I have so many opinions on this subject :)

VW March 18, 2009 at 9:28 AM  

Adding a little extra flour (1/8 to 1/4 of a cup depending on recipe size) makes the difference between flat cookies and thicker ones for me. And my recipe does call for half butter, half shortening as well.


Links

Family Blogs

Current Crave

NETFLIX
Naki's Girls

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP