28 December 2008

welcome to the ward


Today was our first full Sunday in our new ward out here in L.L.
As I looked around the chapel, I was a little sad and excited. I missed seeing all the familiar faces from the last 2 years in the 12th ward. I missed knowing who the kids were and where my kids' friends were sitting. I missed saying hi to people I hadn't seen in a week or chatting with my VT partner Abby, that THIS week we were gonna get it done. I missed asking my old running pals if they were still running and then secretly glad if they said no because it was too cold. I missed my primary class. I missed being in primary and getting sing the primary songs.

But I was also a little excited. Excited to think that in about 6 months or so, I would know most of these people. I was excited because I already know quite a few people in the ward. I was excited for my kids to meet some new friends who might also be at their new school with them. I was excited to get to go to RS after 2 years in Primary. I was excited because we received a warm welcome from so many people.

New start. Just like the new year.

I miss you 12th ward ladies. :(

***
My birthday was fairly uneventful, but pleasant. George had to work and then took me out to Moxie for dinner while D&S watched the kids for us. (Moxie = good.)
Staci made me a cake and we had cake and ice cream with the kids after dinner. At dinner George asked me what my favorite birthday memory was.... sadly my mind was blank. Then after a few minutes I thought of a few memories - but they were all based around pictures that I had from those days. Without a picture - I have a really hard time remembering things. So of course, I don't have any pictures of my birthday yesterday. Smart.
Birthdays have always been kind of a big deal to me. Its your ONE day a year to just be for YOU! So I have always had really high expectations. Immature maybe - and in the last 2 or 3 years I have kind of let that go. But I did tell the kids that they couldn't play laser guns because it was my birthday and I was taking a nap. So that's something.
But now I am 31. I guess I have arrived. :)



***photo that should have been taken goes here***

7 comments:

Mothership December 29, 2008 at 8:11 AM  

Welcome (to your 30s, I mean). I have found that I am more settled than I was, that I am more patient with my children, that I don't begrudge laundry--it is a fact of life.

On the other hand, I find myself in a pattern or a groove. This is a little disconcerting because I don't want to get stuck in the Same-Old. I have to make a point of keeping things fresh and new and exciting.

Know what else 31 means? It means you can say, "I remember 20 years ago . . ." and you do!

Luke and Mel December 29, 2008 at 9:19 AM  

We miss you too Randy. And, Happy Belated Birthday!

Nicki December 29, 2008 at 9:56 AM  

Happy Birthday Randi!

I think you pretty much summed up the way we all feel about going to a new ward. One thing I've learned over the years is that I usually end up loving the people I didn't think I'd have anything in common with based on first impressions. I hate first impressions. I usually end up leaving a ward wishing that I had spent more time getting to know certain people.

Alison December 29, 2008 at 1:54 PM  

I saw on Melissa's calendar that your birthday was Saturday and I was going to wish you a Happy Birthday and have you wonder how I remembered! My plan didn't work when i was so relaxed that i didn't remember anything and I didn't even clean up wrapping paper on the floor for two days! So Happy Birthday!!
I also meant since the middle of December to tell how wonderful the 11x 14 pictures turned out!!! And the 8 x 10's! Lovely! Striking! And so artful!!! They were a big hit for Christmas!! Thank you!

theharmans December 29, 2008 at 6:06 PM  

Randi,
You're still young, and sadly to say I never remember what happened yesterday none the less a year ago!
I'm glad to see that you guys are doing so well! You look great and so do Georgie and the kid's!
miss you guy's.

Camille January 2, 2009 at 8:17 AM  

Happy Birthday! Your family picture is so cute, beautiful kids!

Tierney January 5, 2009 at 4:23 PM  

Happy Birthday Late!


Links

Family Blogs

Current Crave

NETFLIX
Naki's Girls

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP